The First Presbyterian Church of Arkadelphia was organized in 1858 by a Commission of Ouachita Presbytery. At that time, James Buchanan was president of the United States, Elias N. Conway was governor of Arkansas, and Arkadelphia was a town of only a few hundred inhabitants. The town had received its charter and elected its first mayor only one year earlier. The church’s organization was due largely to the efforts and prayers of seven consecrated women working with Colonel Charles Lewis Bullock, a native of North Carolina, who came to Arkadelphia in 1853. The original 14 members called the first pastor, Reverend A. L. Beatties.

The first building was erected on the south side of Clay Street in 1859. The cornerstone still may be observed in the building. The second church building was sold at the time of the construction of the present building. Ground was broken for the building at 13th and Pine on July 11, 1954, and it was dedicated in 1955. On Sunday, October 5, 1980, a service of re-dedication was held for the debt-free facility. The renovation project dedicated today grew out of a study of the status of the building begun in 1997. A Feasibility Committee met and studied needs of the congregation, assessed problems and attempted improvements during 1998 and into 1999 when Architect Keith Miller was brought in to prepare preliminary plans. Church Session approved the project, and in November, 1999 Church Financial Campaign Services of the denomination conducted a campaign within the congregation which garnered over 2/3 of the nearly $1,000,000 required. Building and Finance Committee oversaw the project contracted to Seale Construction Co., Inc. which began in March 2000. New construction includes the narthex, covered walkway, parking lot on Pine Street, and bathrooms near the sanctuary. Newly renovated areas are the choir room, library/bride’s room, Fellowship Hall, kitchen, office suite and educational building.